Chicken Soup with Rice Recipe

When Ms. Kira was a little girl, I used to read “Chicken Soup with Rice” by Maurice Sendak to her all the time, and to this day, when I hear those words, I can’t help but recall the whimsical, almost lyrical rhymes in this book. This recipe is one I got from Mr. Mark’s aunty, as in, she literally handed it to me when I went to deliver her mail last week. It serves 8, so there’s plenty of leftovers for those of us who need a break from cooking every day. Enjoy!

CHICKEN SOUP WITH RICE RECIPE

10 cups chicken broth
1 onion, chopped
1 cup celery
1 cup carrots
¼ cup parsley
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
¾ lb chicken, cubed
2 cups cooked rice
2 tablespoons lime juice

Combine chicken broth, onion, celery, carrots, parsley, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf in dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Add chicken, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Add rice and lime juice for that little kick. 

Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Total: 45 minutes

Comments

Popular Posts